You’ll agree that every time a visitor to your website subscribes, it’s a moment to celebrate.
But are you actually treating that conversion with the proper respect it deserves?
I mean, are you just lazily delivering your new fan with a one-and-done “Thanks for signing up, here’s your content upgrade” email? Or are you treating every new subscriber like a VIP and dropping automated value bombs in their inbox every few days after signup?
Look, if you’re not using automated emails to educate, nurture and build trust with your new subscribers, you’re shooting yourself in the foot! Not only are you missing out on longterm sales, but you're also doing your new followers a huge disservice by not providing with them the in-depth content they came to you looking for!
Want to start treating your subscribers like VIPs?
I know you do so let’s analyze a simple, yet highly effective autoresponder sequence that delivers on the VIP subscriber principle. By the time we're done, you'll have a "paint-by-numbers" autoresponder template in hand to apply to your own business...whatever industry you’re in!
Read on to learn how Neville Medhora, the Kopywriting Kingpin behind the popular (10,000+ kustomer) Kopywriting Kourse, uses “Magical Email Slave Machines” to kultivate a massive online kommunity of true fans that buy the krap out of his online kourses.Added bonus: his emails will also teach you how to write better kopy...
Neville Medhora’s Kopywriting Kourse
Neville is a blogger, professional copywriter and info-product entrepreneur.
I first discovered Neville back in 2015 through some entrepreneurship videos he filmed with Sumo.com founder Noah Kagan. Being an aspiring copywriter and internet marketer myself at the time, that video content led me to Neville’s Kopywriting Kourse Blog.
What’s With All the K’s?
Neville replaces a lot of his C's with K's as a wacky and unique branding strategy.
I think it's also a great example of how Neville polarizes his audience into either loyal fans who love his kooky style or unsubscribers who don’t appreciate his casual approach.
You can listen to Shane explain why such polarization strategies lead to more effective copywriting and irresistible offers here in this ActiveGrowth Podcast episode.
I subscribed to Neville's email list and received a series of 10 emails over the 3 weeks that followed, containing all sorts of valuable info about how to write better copy, grab and maintain a reader’s attention, and – I know this is super meta – use email autoresponders to boost conversions!
In fact, Neville jokes that these autoresponders are his “magical email slave machines" that work nonstop to make passive money for his “lazy bastard” self...his words, not mine. ;-P
Now, one reason I decided to analyze Neville’s Kopywriting Kourse autoresponder sequence is that it's a great case study for how to teach typically boring stuff in a fun way that ultimately creates a large community of raving – and paying – fans.
If you resonate with Neville’s writing style and content, you’ll find yourself dropping whatever you’re doing to read his emails, whenever they arrive in your inbox.
In our modern day email marketing environment, such an ability to leap out of someone’s crowded inbox and pile-drive them into your copy is a real success, right?
Write Your Own Kopywriting Kourse Style Autoresponder
So here’s the deal.
Analyzing even a simple and linear email sequence takes a ton of work.
There’s a lot of copywriting elements and psychological principles at play that are easy to miss – especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for – so I’ve done all that heavy lifting for you.
I painstakingly deconstructed Neville’s original 10 autoresponder emails into an any-industry template to guide your own efforts to build a high-engagement sequence.
A screenshot of my email swipe file showing Neville's 2015 version of his Kopywriting Kourse autoresponder. Learn how to use Gmail to create your own email swipe file here. The 1st email in the sequence is at the bottom of this inbox image and the 10th email is at the top.
Unfortunately for the template I created from my email swipe file, Neville's Kopywriting Kourse autoresponder has evolved a lot since 2015. That means you can't get the same sequence of emails for your own swipe file simply by signing up for Neville's blog.
You Can Still Get a few of the Original Kopywriting Kourse Emails
Of course, I won't be publishing Neville’s emails here, but I still recommend subscribing to Neville's Kopywriting Kourse Blog as it's an awesome copywriting resource.
Also, you can still get a few of Neville's original Kopywriting Kourse autoresponder emails in his current sequence if you sign up.
Just match the subject lines you see in my downloadable autoresponder template below with the emails you get from Neville to see if they're the same.
If you’re writing your first autoresponder series or want to improve an existing sequence, I recommend that you do the following to get your own up and running as fast as possible:
- Set aside 30 to 60 minutes each day for the next 5 to 10 days to write emails.
- Each day, use that day's email template to write your own email, applied specifically to your own business. The template is flexible so use, adapt or omit any sections you need to make it work for you.
- Rapidly implement the 5 to 10 emails you wrote into an autoresponder that nurtures your new subscribers into true fans.
Just commit to writing one email per day for 5 to 10 days. That’s totally doable, right?
How Neville Cultivates True Fans Through His Autoresponder Emails
Neville is a master of what I like to call "quick and dirty" production value.
Instead of focusing his efforts on less important elements like time-consuming visuals or web design, Neville focuses on providing easy-to-understand, high value content to keep his new subscribers reading.
If you want to achieve Neville-level engagement with your own emails, make sure your autoresponder sequence delivers the following experience and copywriting elements to readers:
- Entertainment & Fun. Keep your audience reading and eagerly awaiting your next email. Neville's content is a little bit wacky sometimes, but always entertaining even though the subject matter has the potential to bore readers.
- Build trust and rapport. The value and usefulness of the information you provide needs to be high. Neville is always focused on helping the reader in his emails, not himself.
- Never pressure sell. The percentage of useful information to subtle soft selling is almost entirely weighted on the valuable information side.
- Organically mention secondary and affiliate products where appropriate. Neville suggests other products in a way that are useful to the reader and provide extra revenue opportunities for himself in addition to his main product.
- Use hooks and cliffhangers. Neville is very good at creating open loops between emails to get readers both excited and waiting to read his next email.
- Simultaneously self-deprecate yourself while also generating social proof. Neville is a pro when it comes to making himself relatable to his audience while simultaneously using backhanded, humble-brags about his products to generate social proof.
Now that you know what copywriting elements to pay attention to while writing your own email sequence, let’s take a look at my any-industry template based on Neville’s original Kopywriting Kourse autoresponder...
The Kopywriting Kourse Autoresponder Template
This post has a problem: it's too epic to be contained in a blog post. That's why we've created 2 PDFs for you, that you can download below. These are direct download links, not opt-in bait, so go ahead and grab them. The PDFs will be your guide to rapidly writing and launching your own Neville inspired autoresponder emails for your own business:
- A 10-email, any-industry autoresponder template based on Neville's original Kopywriting Kourse email sequence.
- A 5-email autoresponder example sequence I just wrote for Thrive Theme's new Thrive Optimize A/B Testing plugin written using the first 5 emails in the Kopywriting Kourse inspired template. Use it as a reference when applying the template instructions to create your own autoresponder series.
1. Autoresponder Template
2. Thrive Optimize Example
One of the biggest takeaways I want you to notice after reading through both the Kopywriting Kourse Template and the Thrive Optimize Autoresponder Example PDF set is just how subtle and soft the sales pitches are...virtually non-existent!
Yet this counterintuitive email strategy has made Neville a ton of passive income because he always puts teaching and delivering value first.
Now It’s Your Turn
I hope you found this analysis of Neville's autoresponder emails helpful to write and rapidly implement your own high engagement autoresponder.
If you have any questions or comments about the template, my example emails or just general email marketing automation, ask away in the comments below!